http://www.antoinettewysocki.com/

Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Runner's Edge


My favorite way to start a day is to go for a morning run with someone. It doesn't matter where, with whom, how fast or how far, but that morning run is like coffee to me, I NEED IT. When I moved back to Long Island two years ago I was fortunate to be introduced to a great running store located in Farmingdale, NY,
"The Runner's Edge." As every runner knows a great store chock full of all the important running gear one could need is important. Over the course of time and participating in lots of local races I became better acquainted with the owner (Bob Cook) as well as the people who work there.


They invited me to join their team (they have both a running team and a triathlon team) and because of that I have a whole new running "family." As busy as Bob is, he finds time to be at almost every local race rooting on his team. He sponsors teams for almost every race in the area and enjoys coming to the after party to see them all receive their awards.
I still have some brain picking to do with Bob, I still want to know what it was that made him open this shop, and what he thinks has kept it so successful. My first thought would be the people that work there, they are extremely knowledgeable with every product the store carries and can help you with your every need. Plus every time you go to the store you feel like you know them because everyone is so friendly and goes out of their way to make sure you are getting all of what you need and great customer service to boot. The other part is that Bob himself is a big time runner and triathlete, so it may be that he saw a need for a shop that could offer a great mix of everything from apparel, to running shoes to nutrition needs and support.

I was so happy this summer when I was able to race for Bob as part of the Ocean to Sound mixed open relay team (in which we happened to take 1st Place), as well as race alongside his talented daughter Allison in the Tobay Triathlon.
Last year The Runner's Edge celebrated its 35Th Anniversary, I was glad to be a part of this celebration and I look forward to many more years with this team and many more celebrations. I cannot imagine being a member of a better team or having met the wonderful running partners and teammates I have formed relationships with. So I am grateful to Bob for being so wonderful and to The Runner's Edge for finding the best on Long Island and bringing us all together!

(Bob Cook and I at the Ocean to Sound Relay after party)



No comments:

Post a Comment